Resveratrol as an exercise mimetic – direct comparisons with aerobic exercise, and positive effects on cognitive function:
Resveratrol (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Aerobic exercise has marked effects on cognitive function, even in an elderly group at risk for Alzheimer’s disease. Aerobic exercise may not be suitable for certain groups, especially the frail or those at risk of falls. Exercise mimetics may therefore prove an attractive for treatment option the frail, who would benefit from exercise-induced changes in peripheral and central function.
The polyphenol, resveratrol, rose to attention over the past 15 years as a possible explanation for the “French Paradox”. Resveratrol is a highly active polyphenol found in certain plants, such as grapes and peanuts, that provides protection from invading pathogens and environmental stressors. Since its discovery as an antioxidant in red wine, research has revealed many beneficial effects on the human end-organ function. These include anti-diabetic properties, cardioprotection, neuroprotection, anti-cancer effects, encouraged mortality and improved metabolism.
Here are our posters (as downloadable pdfs) on potential effects of resveratrol from the Annual Society for Neuroscience meetings:
- http://wp.me/p494Fb-8 (tcinbrain.wordpress.com)
- Resveratrol as an exercise mimetic – direct comparisons with aerobic exercise, and positive effects on cognitive function: Our posters from Society for Neuroscience ’11, ’12, ’13 (shaneomara.wordpress.com)
- Resveratrol as an exercise mimetic – direct comparisons with aerobic exercise, and positive effects on cognitive function: Our posters from Society for Neuroscience ’11, ’12, ’13 (neuroscisite.wordpress.com)
- Red wine has health benefits, but can it cure cancer? (salon.com)
- Health Benefits of Grape Skin Extract (antioxidants-health-benefits.com)
- Supplements: the Promise of Resveratrol (tomfit247.com)
- Drink Yourself Young – the Next Big Thing? (harleystreetskinclinic.wordpress.com)
- Should you take resveratrol? (realdiethelp.com)
- Taking Advantage Of Resveratrol Health Benefits (simohamed5585.wordpress.com)